Posts for tag: Dental Stains
Would you like to keep your teeth as white as possible? Brightening your smile can be as easy as trying a few of these suggestions. If your teeth still look dull and stained, your Owings Mills, MD, cosmetic dentists, Dr. Herbert and Dr. Harold Mendelson of Mendelson Family Dentistry, offer several treatments that will help you improve your appearance.
4 Ways to Reduce Stains
Your smile becomes duller when the dark pigments in foods and beverages become trapped in the tiny openings in your tooth enamel. Foods and drinks that tend to cause stains include soy sauce, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, beets, dark berries, grape juice, cola, red wine, sports drinks, candy, coffee, and tea. Smoking or using tobacco products may also dull your smile.
These four tips can help you avoid dental stains:
- Brush Your Teeth: Brushing your teeth soon after consuming darkly pigmented foods and beverages may reduce stains.
- Stop Smoking: Have you been considering quitting smoking? Giving up the habit is just as good for your smile as it is for your health. In addition to staining your tooth enamel, smoking increases your risk of gum disease and oral cancer.
- Use a Straw: Drinking beverages through a straw helps keep dark pigments away from the fronts of your teeth.
- Try Whitening Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste may help reduce staining. Look for products that contain the American Dental Association (ADA) seal.
- Address Your Grinding Problem: Grinding your teeth wears away tooth enamel, exposing the yellow dentin layer underneath. If grinding is a problem for you, your dentist can fit you with a nightguard that prevents damage.
How Cosmetic Dentistry Can Help You Brighten Your Smile
If you're unhappy with the color of your teeth, it's time to pay a visit to the Owings Mills dental office for one of these treatments and services:
- Teeth Whitening: Whitening safely bleaches away tooth stains in an hour. Your teeth will remain whiter for several years after whitening.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin porcelain or plastic shells affixed to the fronts of teeth with dental cement. They're available in many shades of white, require minimal preparation, and are stain-resistant.
- Crowns: A dental crown may be a good option if your tooth looks yellow due to grinding. Hollow crowns slip over the top of teeth and can be used to improve color and lengthen teeth shortened by grinding.
Keep your smile bright with teeth whitening, veneers, or crowns! Call your cosmetic dentists in Owings Mills, MD, Dr. Herbert and Dr. Harold Mendelson, at (410) 356-4100 to schedule an appointment.