Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Would you like to keep your teeth as white as possible? Brightening your smile can be as easy as trying a few of these suggestions. If your teeth still look dull and stained, your Owings Mills, MD, cosmetic dentists, Dr. Herbert and Dr. Harold Mendelson of Mendelson Family Dentistry, offer several treatments that will help you improve your appearance.
4 Ways to Reduce Stains
Your smile becomes duller when the dark pigments in foods and beverages become trapped in the tiny openings in your tooth enamel. Foods and drinks that tend to cause stains include soy sauce, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, beets, dark berries, grape juice, cola, red wine, sports drinks, candy, coffee, and tea. Smoking or using tobacco products may also dull your smile.
These four tips can help you avoid dental stains:
- Brush Your Teeth: Brushing your teeth soon after consuming darkly pigmented foods and beverages may reduce stains.
- Stop Smoking: Have you been considering quitting smoking? Giving up the habit is just as good for your smile as it is for your health. In addition to staining your tooth enamel, smoking increases your risk of gum disease and oral cancer.
- Use a Straw: Drinking beverages through a straw helps keep dark pigments away from the fronts of your teeth.
- Try Whitening Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste may help reduce staining. Look for products that contain the American Dental Association (ADA) seal.
- Address Your Grinding Problem: Grinding your teeth wears away tooth enamel, exposing the yellow dentin layer underneath. If grinding is a problem for you, your dentist can fit you with a nightguard that prevents damage.
How Cosmetic Dentistry Can Help You Brighten Your Smile
If you're unhappy with the color of your teeth, it's time to pay a visit to the Owings Mills dental office for one of these treatments and services:
- Teeth Whitening: Whitening safely bleaches away tooth stains in an hour. Your teeth will remain whiter for several years after whitening.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin porcelain or plastic shells affixed to the fronts of teeth with dental cement. They're available in many shades of white, require minimal preparation, and are stain-resistant.
- Crowns: A dental crown may be a good option if your tooth looks yellow due to grinding. Hollow crowns slip over the top of teeth and can be used to improve color and lengthen teeth shortened by grinding.
Keep your smile bright with teeth whitening, veneers, or crowns! Call your cosmetic dentists in Owings Mills, MD, Dr. Herbert and Dr. Harold Mendelson, at (410) 356-4100 to schedule an appointment.
Even small tooth flaws can have a dramatic effect on your smile. Veneers, a popular cosmetic dentistry option offered by your dentists, Drs. Herbert and Harold Mendelson of Mendelson Family Dentistry in Owings Mills, MD, provide a simple way to hide the imperfections that mar your smile.
Lightweight Veneers Keep Flaws out of Sight
Veneers are tooth-shaped porcelain shells that cover the fronts of your teeth only. The restorations are just about as thick as a fingernail and are created using an impression of your mouth. Veneers are designed to hide flaws and minor damage and can help you:
- Improve the Appearance of Damaged Teeth: Small chips or shallow cracks may not affect the function of your teeth, but they are very noticeable. Adding a porcelain veneer to your tooth instantly improves the way it looks.
- Conceal Imperfections: Veneers also hide bumps, pits, uneven surfaces, and other tooth flaws.
- Hide Discolorations: Do you have one or two teeth that are darker than the others? Discolorations can occur due to tetracycline usage during childhood, large fillings, or tooth trauma. When you visit the Owings Mills dental office for your first veneer appointment, your dentist will select a veneer shade that matches the color of nearby teeth.
- Whiten a Dull Smile: Veneers hide stains caused by foods, drinks, and tobacco products. If your teeth still aren't quite as white as you'd like after teeth whitening, veneers offer an excellent alternative to whitening treatment. You'll choose the perfect shade of white to ensure your new smile meets your expectations. Veneers are stain-resistant and won't become dull even if you drink coffee, tea, or cola every day.
- Change the Shape of a Tooth: Crooked or oddly shaped teeth may not affect your ability to chew, but they can be unattractive. Fortunately, it's easy to makeover these teeth simply by adding veneers to them.
- Close Gaps: Veneers also offer an excellent option if you feel a little self-conscious about a slight gap between your teeth.
- Lengthen Short Teeth: Short teeth cause your smile to look uneven. Fortunately, the addition of a few veneers will improve the symmetry of your smile.
Interested? Call Us Today for a Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
Are you ready to find out if veneers are the perfect cosmetic dentistry option for you? Call your dentists in Owings Mills, MD, Drs. Herbert and Harold Mendelson of Mendelson Family Dentistry, at (410) 356-4100.
There has never been a better time to invest in your smile. Whether your teeth could use a whitening treatment or you'd like to change the size or shape of a damaged or unattractive tooth, there are several options available to improve and fix your smile. Here at Mendelson Family Dentistry in Owings Mills, MD, your dentists, Dr. Herbert and Dr. Harold Mendelson, offer a range of cosmetic dentistry services—read on to learn which one may be right for you.
Cosmetic Dentistry from our Owings Mills Office
Cosmetic dentistry runs the gamut from simple, non-invasive procedures like teeth whitening, to dental implants which are surgically placed in the socket of a missing tooth to complete your smile and improve your oral health after tooth loss. Some procedures like implants fall into the cosmetic and restorative dentistry category.
Cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
- Professional teeth whitening
- Porcelain veneers
- Cosmetic contouring
- Crowns and bridgework
- Tooth-colored fillings
Who Needs Cosmetic Cosmetic Dentistry
Anyone can benefit from a bit of cosmetic dentistry, whether it be to correct imperfections, or just to make elective cosmetic improvements. You may consider a cosmetic treatment for any of the following problems:
- Stained or discolored teeth
- Chips and cracks
- Mild-to-moderate gaps and spacing (significant bite and alignment issues may require orthodontic treatment)
- Missing teeth
- To change the size or shape of one or more teeth
The first step in finding the best cosmetic treatment for your needs is to schedule an appointment for a check-up and dental cleaning with one of our dentists. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends every six months to a year for most people. Sometimes a simple professional teeth whitening treatment is all it takes to transform a lackluster smile. Our dentists will go over your options with you to make the best recommendation for your needs.
Find a Cosmetic Dentist in Owings Mills, MD
For more information about cosmetic dentistry procedures to find the best option for you, contact Mendelson Family Dentistry today by calling (410) 356-4100 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Herbert or Dr. Harold today.
You’ve never dealt with gum disease or cavities. You don’t seem to have any dental issues at all. While this certainly makes you lucky, you might think this also means that you can skip out on seeing the dentist. Think again!
Regular visits to Mendelson Family Dentistry in Owings Mills, MD, allows your dentists, Drs. Herbert and Harold Mendelson, to provide these long-term smile benefits:
Protect Against Cavities
Plaque is a sticky film that builds up on teeth throughout the day. If plaque isn’t removed with regular brushing, this can lead to decay. Along with brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily (both crucial to good long-term oral health) you should come into our office for professional dental cleanings. Our hygienists have special tools and techniques to get into those hard-to-reach and often overlooked spots in and around teeth where plaque can lurk.
Prevent Gum Disease
Gum disease the leading cause of tooth loss in adults today. Additionally, most people don’t even realize they have gum disease until it’s too late. However, if you visit our Owings Mills office every six months, we can check the health of your gums and detect the early signs of gum. After all, if this condition is caught early enough, it can be reversed.
Brighten Your Teeth
Everything from the coffee we drink to the foods we consume can lead to stains and discolorations. Fortunately, routine dental cleanings can remove many of these surface stains and give your teeth a freshly polished look. When you leave our office, you'll be walking out with an instantly whiter smile.
Mendelson Family Dentistry in Owings Mills, MD, provides comprehensive dental care to patients of all ages, from toddlers to seniors. If it’s time for the family to get their teeth cleaned, call our office today at (410) 356-4100 to schedule a consultation.